Sunday, December 13, 2009

Tounes de Christmas!

LA VERSION FRANÇAISE suivra plus tard cette semaine!

Lately, I have been telling a few people that for the first time in ages, I am not in the festive Christmas mood. I decided I would not put up my Xmas tree (sheds a tear). My family and I will be spending the Holidays at the hospital, where my grandma now resides (sheds a million tears). Nobody feels like having a party (sheds another tear). I usually host Xmas dinner and these days, I have to force myself to cook so I can have dinner and lunches on weekdays.

For as long as I can remember, the women in my mom's family would go shopping the first Saturday of December to buy all the presents (all 'our' presents :o). In the last decade, I had joined them on the "International Shopping Day" : meeting at the mall for 7:30 to have breakfast, shop together, have lunch together and then shop some more until the stores close at 5 and then going out to dinner. This year, we didn't even discuss it. There was no question we were going shopping. My grandma can't leave the hospital.

Nothing feels like Christmas to me this year. On the other hand, I LOVE music. I am a sucker for a great voice. I truly enjoy discovering new beats, new artists and replaying over and over again my favorites. Over the years, I have accumulated many Xmas songs. Recently, I quickly mentioned writing a blog article about my faves and it seemed to be of interest for a few. So here it is! Whenever possible, I linked the songs to YouTube videos. Sometimes the quality is shaky, but hey... you get the idea.

Of course, a millions artists have performed all and any of the below-mentioned songs. But those are my favorite versions. I hope I will allow you to discover at least one "new to you" song or, perhaps, a forgotten tune you liked. The listing order means nothing.

Happy listening and... Happy Holidays!

Miss IPP

MY CLASSICS - MES CLASSIQUES
-Baby It's Cold Outside - Harry Connick Jr. and Lee Ann Womack
-Schubert's Ave Maria
-Santa Baby - Madonna
-Something about Christmas Time - Bryan Adams
-Amazing Grace - Mahalia Jackson (because my dad played it on EVERY Xmas Eve. And so this song is forever associated to my dad)
-Do They Know It's Christmas - Live Aid / Band Aid 1985 (My first Love, Boy George, just shines in it. I cannot resist this tune. Plus, BONUS, Bono before the glasses!)
-Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee (come on! It ain't Xmas without it!)
-Blue Christmas - Elvis Presley (my mom adores The King - this reminds me putting up the Xmas tree with my mum and sis. Oooh la la. The King was such eye candy!)
-Last Christmas - George Michael (SO, SO, SO relevant and good!)
-Adeste Fideles - any version in Latin (I studied Latin for 2 years in high school and I can still sing the entire first part!)
-O Holy Night - Mariah Carey (can't stand the Diva - love her voice in this)


BREAK THE BEAT XMAS TUNES - CHANSONS NON-TRADITIONNELLES
-The Mistletoe Jam - Luther Vandross
-The Chanukkah Song - Adam Sandler (although, if you hadn't guessed, I am not Jewish).
-Do You Hear What I Hear - Vanessa Williams
-Reggae Christmas - Bryan Adams
-Hey Santa - Carnie and Wendy Wilson
-Please Come Home For Christmas - The Eagles (Yeah... I have a rock 'n roll string in me! POOPERS. I was not able to find the original by The Eagles. So, again, to please my sister... Here is the version by (gags)... Bon Jovi).
-I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (John Cougar Mellencamp - don't care if he's no longer Cougar)
-Santa Clause Is Back In Town - Jonny Lang (just listen to the song - the video on YouTube will make you dizzy)
-A New York City Christmas - Rob Thomas (Oh Rob... You can hang your Xmas stocking on my mantle. Wait... I don't have a mantle. I shall BUILD a mantle!)
-River - Sarah McLachlan
-Oh Happy Day - Sister Act 2 Soundtrack (Not truly a Christmas song. But the vocals in it... Oh Happy Day!)

LA CHANSON FRANÇAISE
-23 décembre - Hugo Lapointe (Dee-Dee, je te vois jouer de la "air-cuiller" sur tes cuisses à chaque fois que je l'entends!)
-Fa la la la la - Bündock (vive les années '80 - en pensant, there is no way in hell que cette version est live!)
-Minuit Chrétien - Fernand Gignac ou Bruno Pelletier? Dilemme! Fernand pour les souvenirs de jeunesse - Bruno pour la Voix.
-Noël au bureau - Ginette Reno et les Grandes Gueules (c'est con, mais c'est drôle et tout le monde peut associer au moins un des scénarios à un de ses partys de bureau!)
-Sainte Nuit (gospel) - Johanne Blouin (I have a thang for gospel... this version shakes the mistletoes out of my tree)
-Noël Noël - Passe-Partout (Trop sweet! Quand Noël était invariablement magique... mais seulement à compter de la seconde 0:48)
-C'est nono Noël - Rock et Belles Oreilles
-J'ai vu petite maman embrasser le Père Noël - Michèle Richard (sans commentaires! mais la version de Marie-Hélène Thibert m'a fait flancher, finalement!)

No comments:

Post a Comment